HostGator has announced they are within weeks of becoming their very own domain registrar. Up until now HostGator has relied on the services of Enom, Inc. to assist them with their domain registrations. Because becoming an ICANN accredited domain name registrar can be quite a process, many web hosts that offer shared web hosting choose to register their domain through another registrar. This is a win-win situation for both the web host and the registrar.
HostGator has been around long enough, and grown large enough, that the next logical step is to become their own domain name registrar. They currently rank among the top 10 largest web hosts, hosting over 4 MILLION domains. Although becoming a domain name registrar will not affect any previously hosted sites it may open up some great opportunities for HostGator to offer more domain name services, special discounts on domains, and more domain products.
In HostGators newsletter announcement they mention that GoDaddy (another of the top 10 largest web hosts) may want to “watch out”! They suggest that not only will their domain registration prices be cheaper than GoDaddy but will also back these service with their already legendary customer support.
HostGator currently offers:
- Hatchling Plan – Shared Hosting – Starting at $4.95
- Baby Plan – Shared Hosting – Starting at $7.95
- Business Plan – Shared Hosting – Starting at $12.95
- 5 Levels of Reseller Hosting – Starting at $24.95
- 9 Levels of VPS Hosting – Starting at $19.95
- Basic Dedicated Servers – Starting at $174
- Standard Dedicated Servers – Starting at $219
- Elite Dedicated Servers – Starting at $279
- Pro Dedicated Servers – Starting at $374
- All Dedicated Servers Offered in Linux and Windows
Once HostGator becomes their own domain name registrar there is no telling what they may offer. We will be watching them for sure!